Careers Lead – Mr S York
SLT Careers Link – Mrs C Rhodes
Good Careers education for young people is vital for our pupils to be able to go and achieve their goals in life. We understand most pupils come to us with very little knowledge of the work of work, and they need to be supported to help them make informed choices. We are developing a new Careers Plan for all pupils at Our Lady and St Bede to ensure that all pupils develop the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in the workplace by the time they leave us.
New this academic year is that parents and pupils will have the opportunity to meet a careers adviser at each of the Parents Evenings throughout the school year. This will be done on an appointment basis only, and there will more information about parents booking an appointment when the parents evening letters are sent home nearer the time.
If you are a student, teacher, employer or parent/carer and would like to provide some feedback about Careers in the school, what we are doing well or how we could improve, please fill in the survey here.
Using your time at school wisely to help you make informed choices about your future career is vital. You should always start by thinking about what you would like to do and do some research about this career, often there is much more to your chosen career than you think! If you would like to do some research, there are lots of websites out there which can help you, and you can find a long list here. This is just a small selection of websites for you to begin with:
1) https://icould.com/ a good website to help you link your strengths at school with potential careers
2) https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/home useful for researching a specific career
3) www.plotr.co.uk/ for careers in Transport/ Engineering
5) https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors for graduate jobs all sectors
6) http://www.mathscareers.org.uk/career-profiles/ careers profiles with maths, science, engineering
7) https://www.goconstruct.org/construction-jobs/career-explorer/ careers in construction
8) https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles careers in healthcare
We always welcome any support employers, businesses and training providers can offer with helping to deliver a rich career programme for our students. We have numerous activities happening throughout the year which can be seen on our Careers Plan. If you feel you could offer any support or would like to come into school, please get in touch with us. If you would like to read our Provider’s Access Policy, please find it here. A provider wishing to request access should contact Carly Rhodes, Assistant Headteacher. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We understand parents/carers can often find it daunting supporting their child with finding their future career. Whilst there are lots of websites out there to help your children make informed choices, these websites are specifically designed to help you support your children in their careers education.
5) https://targetcareers.co.uk/sites/targetcareers.co.uk/files/public/parents_guide_2017.pdf Parents’ guide to professional careers
6) https://www.tomorrowsengineers.org.uk/media/1522/te-parents-leaflet-2015.pdf Parents’ guide to engineering careers
7) http://www.ingenious-science.eu/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=ff04ce70-ec5f-48c6-9b66-960ef9b3bba0&groupId=10136 Parents’ guide to science careers – including job suggestions
8) http://www.cogentskills.com/media/1475/4897fd_science-guide-for-parents_a5-8pp_v4.pdf Parents’ guide to careers in science – including employability skills
We believe every pupil and their parents should also have access to good quality information about labour market opportunities, there are a list of websites here (link to labour market info) which provide more information about the current labour market.